A Blether about Autism


In some ways, I feel it may have helped to know I was autistic sooner. 

In the same breath, the 1990s and 2000s were a time of bullying for a lot of people. I was a loner, so my torment was probably less because no one knows what to do with outsiders or how they will react. Also, we can fly under the radar. None the less I did get bullied at times. I was always different, and bullies hate that even if they can't put a finger on what made me different or why.

As a lonely sort, I often adopted my sisters friends or they adopted me. I'm even married to one. My favourite one! So I at least had a few friends.

Being raised on a Scottish Island and going to a wee primary school (good as they were with me), I don't think support would have been available on any level it is to kids now. I am genuinely happy that progress is being made for the young. I do wish there was more support for adults. But, delighted for the young ones. It is a brave new neurodivergent world.

Knowing I'm autistic now has explained so much. It is helpful knowing if you desire to get to know yourself. I also know that I would have obsessed over it for years if I lived in a state of not knowing. I began to notice similarities between myself and autistic people I have looked after as an assistant or support worker over the years. There were also people in my life who were fairly convinced I was. As you can tell, I am fine owning it now. It is now a special interest alongside my faith and pacifist ethics.

I don't know what the future holds, but I do hope more help is available for adults as knowledge takes a leap in this field. I am also glad we are abandoning the term aspergers given the findings about his nazi leanings. I don't mind aspie as much as it slang and slightly removed from the surname of said nazi sympathiser. I'm cool with "type 1" if it helps with clarity for people. But, plain old autistic is fine also. I am learning neunces in language and am also moving from saying I have autism to I am autistic. It is subtle, but there is a difference.

If you want to explore autism more, I am reading a good novel about an autistic girl. It is called A Kind of Spark and it is by Elle Mcnicoll. It is definitely worth a read. As I mentioned in a previous blog post I did enjoy the BBC TV series of it also. It is aimed at a younger audience, but also contains plenty of food for thought for adults.

Anyway, that is my blether about autism finished for now. Do pop back to the blog again for more or stay and explore. God bless. 

Comments

This Weeks Top of the Posts

Not Woke, but Awake

Celtic Quiet Places

What a Sermon!

His Kingdom Come

Righteousness of the Kingdom (Matthew 5:17-32) First Draft of a Sermon