The Passion of Flowers

I love passion flowers. I had no idea this enjoyment could be an Autistic thing, as I was informed recently it could be. It is known as an Autistic Glimmer, which is something that for some can cause an overwhelming sense of sensory delight. So this could indeed be an Autistic aswell as a faith and beauty thing. I didn't know they existed infact until a few years back when I heard of a faith group called The Julian Meetings who are a bit like Quakers in worship style, but particularly like Julian of Norwich. The passion flower is the symbol they use, but it has faith connections all the way back to when the Spanish discoverd the flower. 

"We chose this plant to decorate our publications because of its silent witness to the heart of the Christian faith. The passion flower is a native of southern Brazil and first flowered in England in 1868. The name Passion Flower was given by the first Spanish friars and missionaries to tropical America, who were impressed by the symbolism they saw in the flower. The flower has spikes protruding from the center, symbolizing the crown of thorns. The flower’s five petals and five petallike sepals represent the 10 apostles who remained faithful to Jesus throughout the Passion. The circle of hairlike rays above the petals suggested the crown of thorns that Jesus wore on the day of His death. The passion flower blossom is often used to symbolize events in the last hours of the life of Jesus Christ, the Passion of Christ" 
(Julian Meetings). 

I liked that connection as a person of faith myself and as someone who has a special interest in faith. Then I finally saw one in person. I started a new job in January and to my surprise they grow them at work (an outdoor early years nursery). I also found some grow in a lovely garden on the way to Edinburgh Zoo (pictured). They are magnificent plants. So beautiful! I smile every time I see one.

Comments

This Weeks Top of the Posts

The Light that Remains

The still small voice

Getting to Know Me: Some TV I Like

Take Heart: A Catechism

Suffering

Coronation Day Blog Post: May We Lead A Quiet Peaceable Life

Advices and Proverbs

Spurgeon for Peace!